Stuffed green peppers make for an excellent vegetarian meal. The recipe is easy to make, and extremely versatile. The ingredients can be mixed and matched depending on the season or the mood of the chef. It also makes great use of produce that is commonly found in home-grown gardens or local markets.
Substituting a few Asian ingredients can provide a fun twist on the classic preparation of the peppers. Spinach, kale or any other leafy green can be substituted for the Swiss Chard based on availability of the ingredients.
The stuffed green peppers can be served as a main course or as a side (1/2 pepper) with a healthy salad.
Asian Influenced Stuffed Green Peppers Recipe
Prep Time: 10 Minutes
Cook Time: 1 hour 55 minutes
Total Time: 2 hours 5 minutes
• 1 onion, chopped roughly
• 2 Tbs. sesame oil
• 1 Tbs. 5-spice powder
• 2 tsp. hoisin sauce
• 3 cloves garlic, minced
• 1 Tbs. ginger, minced
• 1 large bunch Swiss Chard, rinsed, roughly chopped
• 1 ½ cups frozen snow peas
• 1 cup long grain rice
• 3 large carrots, sliced
• 1 cup mushrooms, sliced
• 2 cups vegetable stock
• 2 cups reduced-fat cheddar cheese, grated
• ¼ cup Chinese rice wine
• ½ cup Panko bread crumbs
• 4 green bell peppers, halved, seeds and ribs removed
1. Preheat oven to 350°F
2. In a large saucepan heat oil over medium heat. Sauté onion until soft. Add 5-spice, hoisin, garlic, and ginger and sauté cook until aromatic (about 1 minute). Stir in snow peas. Add Swiss Chard and cook 5 minutes, until greens are wilted and most of the liquid is gone.
3. Stir in rice, carrots, mushrooms and 2 cups vegetable stock. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for about 20 minutes on medium-low heat, or until rice is tender.
4. Mix in 1 cup cheese. If needed, season with salt and pepper.
5. Pour rice wine into 9.5 x 13.5 baking dish.
6. Place ¾ cup rice/cheese blend into each pepper half, and set in the prepared baking dish. Cover baking dish with foil and bake for 50-55 minutes.
7. Mix remaining cheese and panko bread crumbs together in a small bowl.
8. Remove stuffed green peppers from oven, and spread cheese and bread crumb mixture over peppers. Place back in oven and bake until cheese is crisp on top, about 15 minutes. Peppers can be served after allowing to rest for about 5 minutes.