Due to various contributing factors, eyelashes will sometimes begin to thin and fall out. Congenital problems, auto-immune diseases, infections, disease processes and other health problems can all cause eyelash loss and sometimes even prevent regrowth.
Ways to Help Promote Eyelash Growth
There are many ways to keep the eyelashes healthy and help promote growth. Listed below are some helpful tips that you can use to keep them in top shape.
* Cleanliness – This should be the number one priority of a person, not just for his or her eyes, but also for the whole body. The eyelids—where the eyelashes grow—should be free from debris that can be a breeding ground of bacteria. For people who regularly use make-up, it is very important to wash the eyes thoroughly before going to bed. It is suggested that women should use mascara that is water-resistant and not water-proof. This type of mascara is easier to wash off and much gentler to the eyelids.
* Diet – Proper nutrition is very crucial in maintaining the health of eyelashes. Foods rich in protein can help to increase the growth rate of eyelashes. Examples of protein rich foods are eggs, beans, yogurt, and white meat. It is also important to eat foods rich in vitamins—particularly vitamin C, vitamin E, vitamin B complex, and Vitamin A. These vitamins are essential for cell growth and prevention of split hair. Furthermore, these vitamins are necessary for cell repair and healing. These vitamins are found in citrus fruit, vegetables, and lean meat.
* Olive oil – Aside from diet, you can also apply olive oil directly to the eyelashes. This will encourage healthy eyelashes—both in length and width. Perform this procedure every night before you sleep. After more than a month or two, you will see evident signs of healthier eyelashes. The new eyelashes will be stronger and healthier compared to the previous eyelashes.
* Emu oil – The action of this oil is similar to olive oil. This can serve as an alternative to olive oil is none is available. You can use cotton balls to apply emu oil at the base of your eyelashes. This acts as an eyelash conditioner and promotes new growth of eyelashes.
* Vaseline – Though this is commonly used for the hair on the scalp, petroleum jelly can have similar effects to olive and emu oils.
These are just some of the things you can do to attain healthier, thicker and stronger eyelashes. It is important that you know this is not just for achieving attractive eyes, but also for the overall health of your eyes.