Freckles are hyper-pigmented spots on the skin mainly on the face and upper torso. They are caused by an increased amount of melanin underneath certain areas of the skin. Light skinned people are more prone to freckles because they have less melanin than darker colored people which allows for the concentration of melanin underneath the skin, causing the appearance of dark spots.
For some people freckles disappear over time. Some people are not so fortunate or just have a desire to get rid of them. Getting rid of freckles can be tricky and it is always recommended that you consult your physician before using home remedies or over the counter medications.
Ways To Get Rid Of Those Freckles
1. Skin whitening or bleaching creams may be used to get rid of the spots. The use of skin bleaching creams should not be prolonged and is not recommended by many doctors for good reason. One would recommend that you use skin whitening creams for two weeks and if the freckles disappear, stop using it. If they do not disappear then give your skin a two weeks rest period and continue usage for another two weeks. If freckles persist after this time period, discontinue use and consult your physician.
2. There are many chemical peels offered by your dermatologist that get rid of freckles. Chemical peels remove the top layer of the skin where the melanin becomes concentrated and take the freckles with them. In some people the freckles will reappear after a long time while for others the problem of freckles would have permanently disappeared. While many spas will offer chemical peels it is not recommended that you use these spa services to get rid of your freckles unless these peels are offered by a dermatologist.
3. Laser treatment of your freckles will permanently remove them. This process can be a little painful and expensive but it is also quick, permanent and extremely effective. Laser treatment for freckles is usually a one time treatment procedure but depending on the distribution it may take more than one treatment.
4. Cryogenic freezing of your freckles with liquid nitrogen will permanently remove them. Freezing the freckles raises them on the skin allowing for easy removal. This procedure like laser surgery is permanent and may also take more than one treatment due to the distribution of freckles.
5. Prescription retinol creams may be used over prolonged periods. These creams are safe and fairly inexpensive.
6. Some people may not have the means or desire to seek medical treatment or use skin lightening creams. For these people there are home remedies. Rubbing freshly squeezed lime or lemon juice on your freckles will eventually cause them to disappear. Use the juice as a face and body rub, applying it to the skin 10 to 15 minutes every night before bed. To reduce dehydration of the skin use a moisturizing lotion after each application.
7. Sour milk can also be used as a face rub, it is rich in lactic acid and very effective in getting rid of your freckles.