Tomatoes are an essential when it comes to having clear skin. Dietary intake helps, but adding the use of tomato to skin care routines will make a noticeable difference quickly. As a food, they are packed with antioxidants, good sugars and sunscreen enhancers. Here are a few other uses you may not know about.
* Exfoliator – Removing old dead skin, oils and dirt is as easy as slicing a tomato in half and running the tomato over your skin. Spend extra time in areas that are prone to and have a lot of blackheads. The acid in the juice will soften dirt and oils and unclog pores. Rinse with cool water and enjoy the smooth and soft results.
* Tomato Slice Mask – Slice a medium size tomato in paper thin slices. Lie down and set a layer of the tomato slices over your face and allow them to sit in place for 20 minutes. Remove them and wash with cool water. Your face should be oil-free and soft.
* Oatmeal and Tomato Facial Scrub – Add 1 cup of whole oats and 1 crushed fresh tomato to the blender and mix well. Spread the paste onto your face and begin scrubbing in small circular motions. This is kind of messy, so do it over a sink. Rinse with cool water and pat dry. The scrubbing power of the oats mixed with the exfoliating of the tomato juice is unequaled.
* Skin Healing Properties – Tomato can help heal sunburn, sores and small infections of the skin. You can either puree it into a spreadable form to apply to a sunburn, or simply set slices over the affected areas. It will relieve the pain and turn the burn into a tan. Set a slice of tomato over a sore, or infected area and keep it wrapped. Change the tomato slice and wrap several times a day. The skin will heal in remarkable time.
* Acne Treatment – The acid in a tomato when applied to the skin actually changes the pH of your skin which makes it difficult for acne to thrive and survive on your face. Tomatoes are high in vitamins A and C, which are what the major acne medications contain. This makes this little red fruit a natural winner at healing acne. Cut a small tomato in half and rub it over the acne-affected areas. Let it sit for a few minutes and soak into your pores. Rinse with cool water and repeat the process twice a day. You may need to apply a moisturizer afterwards if your skin is sensitive.
* Natural Astringent – There is a huge market for products that are geared for oily and acne-prone skin. Astringents help keep the oils down and the pores clear. Tomatoes do the same thing and cost a lot less. Blend a fresh tomato and retain the juice. Swab this on the face twice a day. Rinse this off immediately with cool water.
* Tomato and Avocado Face Mask – Some people have to deal with a combination of oily and dry skin. A perfect balancing application for this is creating a tomato and avocado face mask. The tomato will break down any oils and the avocado will deeply moisturize the skin. Add 1 crushed tomato and 1 diced avocado to a blender and mix well. Spread the mixture evenly over the face and let it sit for 30 minutes. Scrape it off and wash the face with cool water. It should be silky smooth and oil free.
* Minimize Pore Size – The smaller your pores are, the less dirt and oil can clog them up. Reducing their size is as simple as gathering the juice from one tomato and adding a few drops of lime juice. Swab it onto the pores and really rub it in using circular motions. Allow it to stay for 20 minutes. Rinse with cool water and repeat often for the best results. Doing this daily will shrink the pores quite a bit.
Discontinue these home remedies if you notice any redness, rash or hives developing. This could indicate a sensitivity or allergy to tomatoes. If this happens, rinse the skin well and consult a physician if the symptoms worsen or do not go away after a couple of days.