If you’re just starting an exercise program, you may not yet have started training with weights, but you should definitely consider it. While cardio is great, you won’t get the full effects of exercise without adding the benefits of weight training to your routine. Some of those benefits include:
1. Speeds Up Metabolism: Lean muscle tissue is metabolically active, so the more muscle you build the more your metabolism will speed up. Lean muscle burns more calories. So if you’re trying to lose weight one of the benefits of weight training is that you burn calories even after you’re done working out. That’s hard to beat.
2. Improves Confidence: Weight lifting makes you feel better, as you become stronger and look better. Whether it’s just knowing that you can lift something, or seeing yourself become stronger and look leaner you will feel better about yourself.
3. Strengthens Bones: Another benefit of weight training is that it actually strengthens your bones and helps to prevent osteoporosis as you age, thus giving you better quality of life into your later years.
4. Helps Boost Immune System: Weight training, like other forms of exercise, helps your immune system defend your body, preventing not only colds but more serious illnesses, and can help you resist illnesses like diabetes and heart disease because you will be healthy and more fit.
5. Improves Flexibility: You may have heard that weight lifters are less flexible, but actually one of the benefits of weight training is that it improves flexibility and makes muscles more pliable. When done correctly you will feel better and be less prone to injury.
6. Eases Depression: Weight lifting releases endorphins so you will feel great when you finish a workout and this will help you feel great overall. Exercise is one of the best natural therapies available.
7. Helps With Sleep: In addition to being one of the best natural therapies, another benefit of weight training is that it is one of the best sleep inducers around. After a great workout you’ll sleep better.