Depression is a very serious illness that affects many people worldwide. There are many methods to treating depression whether it is through counseling, prescriptions for depression medication, changes in your daily routine or rituals, changing your diet, etc. However, there can be a better and more natural way to treat your depression without those nasty side effects. Here are a few natural home remedies to help treat your depression and give a better mood level. Note: Depression is a serious and very dangerous illness and professional help is required, these are only home remedies that can help teat common symptoms of depression.
CAFFEINE: can give you the boost you need to start your everyday activities. Although some studies have shown that large amounts of caffeine-intake can increase the rate of depression. However, as long as you are only consuming 1 or 2 cups per day to help keep your symptoms at ease, then you will not produce this effect. You can also try switching from coffee to green tea. Green tea only has half of the amount of caffeine that is found in normal caffeinated drinks and also provides you with tons of nutritional benefits.
DEEP SEA COLD WATER FISH: regularly eat deep sea cold water fish. One of the most important nutrients, Omega 3, is very beneficial when trying to lift up your spirits and your mood level. Studies have shown that consuming foods that contain high amounts of omega 3 has been proven to lifting your mood. Deep sea cold water fish that have the highest levels of omega 3 are sardines, mackerel, and salmon.
CHOCOLATE: many folks are surprised to learn that chocolate is a home remedy for depression. Studies have shown that eating dark chocolate (NOT milk chcocolate) will most effectively contribute to changing your mood for the better. Although many prefer the lighter chocolate to dark chocolate, the lighter chocolate has no effect whatsoever on your mood. You can also find organic bitter chocolate at your finer health food stores and have been proven to also lift your spirits and your symptoms of depression.
HOME-MADE INFUSIONS: a tea of basil and sage can lift our spirits. To create this concoction you boil a teaspoon of holy basil or Indian basil and a half of a teaspoon of sage per cup of tea. By drinking this infusion at least twice a day you will see your mood and energy increase dramatically.
You can also alternatively powder the seeds of one to two green cardamoms and then add this to a cup of boiling water and a little bit of sugar. You will also want to consume this infusion up to two times a day for best results.
HERBAL TREATMENTS: there are many herbal treatments that have also been studied and proven to help depression-related symptoms. All of the herbs can each be added to a brew of your favorite herbal tea and be created into a infusion.
- Lemon balm is commonly used to help calm a person’s physical tension.
- The herb skullcap can also be used in herbal treatment for depression by easing panic attacks and the number of occurrences.
- Indian ginseng, or ashwaganha, is an herb that has been used for hundreds of thousands of years in India. Indian Ginseng not only helps reduce your stress but also calms your entire nervous system as well as reducing the number of negative thoughts running through your head. This natural pure herb not only nourishes your brain but also helps in brain functioning better as well as more effectively.
- Bacopa, or brahmi, is also another herb that has been tested and proven to help with depression symptoms. This herb gives your brain the soothing effect that it looks for when battling depression. Not only does it cure your brain of unwanted anxieties but it also helps improve your memory.
- Sumenta is an herbal supplement that combines adaptogenic, anxiolytics, and anti-stress ingredients and can be found in many nutritional and health stores. For many people that deal with depression also deal with anxiety and using this herbal supplement you can kill two birds with one stone.
- One of the most popular and most well-known herbal treatments in aiding depression related symptoms is St. John’s wort. This is also a natural herb and is used as a mood stabilizer and also helps in aiding to fight against depression as well as anxiety spells. You can also find this herb at your local pharmacy or nutritional store.
Useful Treatment Tips
** Eating an apple with some milk and honey can also act as a mood lifter and helps reduce your symptoms of depression.
** Try incorporating almonds into your diet. Chewing anywhere from 10-15 almonds daily is very beneficial to your mood and brain levels. However, they are found most effective is they have been soaked overnight and eaten the next morning.
** You can also boil a cup of water and add a few rose petals and some sugar and have a great mixture to help soothe your depression symptoms.
** You can also try incorporating a few drops of aromatic herbal oils in your bath water and take a much needed hour long bath which will not only relieve some stress but ease your mind and your thought patterns. This is also a good way to calm and soothe your body giving off those good endorphins.
** Root of asparagus is another widely used treatment option when it comes to easing depression symptoms. You can take 1-2 grams of powdered root once daily.
** Cashew nuts are very rich in Thiamine and Vitamin B. Chewing cashews not only stimulates your nervous system but also helps with symptoms of depression.