Everybody today – and yes, the guys, too – wants to look good and have great skin as long as possible and that calls for serious skin care. But while we're always interested in beauty tips it's also important to honor eco-friendly living as well. How can we look great and not harm our beautiful planet? Here are 10 ideas to accomplish both of these worthy goals.
1) Make sure your soap is free of alpha-hydroxy acids. These harsh chemicals are used to clear pores, but also damage your skin's UV protection abilities. Look for an all-natural cleanser the next time you are shopping at the drug store.
2) Switch to energy-efficient light bulbs. Fluorescent light bulbs are 90% more efficient than regular bulbs, and are also less of a fire hazard. Consider switching to Fluorescent to reduce your energy consumption while performing your beauty routine.
3) Take shorter showers. A typical showerhead releases 25 liters of water per minute, so even shortening your shower by a couple of minutes can save a great deal of water. Another option is to invest in a low-flow showerhead.
4) Use a natural shampoo. Mainstream shampoos often contain sodium lauryl sulfate, which irritates the skin and is also used in garage floor cleaners and engine degreasers. Try an organic homemade shampoo, such as 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar mixed with 1 gallon distilled water.
5) Use recycled trash bags. Try throwing your old cosmetic bottles and tubes into grocery sacks, instead of buying plastic trash bags. This is a good way to use up your old grocery sacks without adding extra trash to landfills since they must be disposed of anyway.
6) Don't leave the water running while applying cosmetics. A lot of water can be wasted when you keep the faucet running throughout your entire morning makeup and cleansing routine, so shut the water off whenever it's not in use.
7) Switch to biodegradable cosmetics. Many organic skin care products and body cleansers now come in biodegradable packaging. Look for the biodegradable symbol on the label when shopping.
8) Purchase unbleached and chlorine-free toilet paper. Toilet paper is bleached for aesthetic reasons, but this can lead to increased risks of birth defects, cancer, diabetes and heart disease. Next time you're at the store, look for a chlorine-free brand of toilet paper to meet your toileting needs.
9) Make the most of your cosmetics and skin care products. Be sure to use every last drop of your facial creams and cosmetics. Some containers can be opened or swabbed with a Q-tip in order to access the contents at the bottom of the bottle or tube.
10) Decorate your bathroom with plants. These organisms thrive by cycling air through their leaves, and are great at absorbing airborne particles and contaminants. They are also a great decorative feature!
Trying to live in an eco-friendly manner sometimes seems discouraging since many of the people around us aren't behaving that way. We might wonder if there's any point? The bottom line is that we can't control the actions of others, but we have total power over our own and serious skin care is NOT incompatible with eco-friendly living so honor these few tips and create more of your own. Your conscience will be clear and you will be a good steward of the earth.