This image is from the CDC (Center For Disease Control) and makes suggestions for getting pap tests – none of which have I followed, by the way. They state that the factors that make a woman high risk for cervical cancer are:
- Smoking is a giant biggie
- Giving birth to three or more children
- Using birth control pills for 5+ years
- Having multiple sexual partners
- And, no surprise, the HIV virus
Cervical cancer almost always is a result of having the HPV or human papillomavirus virus and that is what the pap test is seeking.