The metabolism is the process by which the body burns calories to supply the energy it needs to carry out its daily functions. The higher your metabolic rate, the more calories you will burn and the easier it will be to lose weight. Here are eight ways you can speed up your metabolism naturally.
1) Eat little and often during the day. This will help keep your metabolism stimulated as it has to work to digest the food you eat. Studies indicate that leaving long periods of time between meals can cause the metabolism to become sluggish and less effective at burning calories. Make sure the snacks you eat are healthy; fruit, vegetables, fat free yogurt, and fiber rich crackers are ideal.
2) Eat breakfast. Your metabolism will have slowed down naturally during the night as your body rests. Eating a hearty and healthy breakfast will give it a boost. People who don’t eat breakfast experience a drop in energy mid morning which leaves them reaching for fatty or sugary snacks.
3) Get some regular exercise. Even moderate exercise, such as going for a thirty minute walk for five days each week, has been proven to speed up metabolism. Some light weight training will increase your lean muscle mass, and as muscle needs more calories to function you will burn more calories just to meet your body’s daily needs. Try to become more active throughout your day. Taking the stairs instead of the lift, going for a walk at lunch time or walking to a colleague’s office to talk to them instead of emailing will all help to make a difference.
4) Add spice to your meals. Hot spices such as chili, peppers and ginger raise the heart rate, which in turn increases the metabolism. Experiment with different spices; you will find some favorite combinations.
5) Drink green tea; it is thought to contain certain antioxidants which speed up metabolism naturally. You will need to drink at least four cups each day to see the benefits though.
6) Make sure you are drinking enough water. Many of us are dehydrated without even realizing it. Dehydration causes the liver to hold on to fat stores rather than burning them, which could hinder weight loss. Making sure you drink at least eight glasses of water a day will help speed up your metabolism- don’t forget you will need to drink more than this if you are exercising.
7) Limit your alcohol intake. Studies have shown that the metabolic rate slows down the day after a drinking session. Alcohol is a diuretic, so can also cause you to become dehydrated.
8) Get plenty of sunlight. It is thought that spending hours in a darkened room, such as an office environment, can trick the body into thinking it should be resting. This means that functions such as the metabolism will become slow and sluggish, and you will feel low in energy. Get out into the fresh air regularly- take a walk at lunch time or just go outside and soak up some rays for a few minutes. You will feel refreshed when you return to the office.
By adjusting your lifestyle to include the above tips and combining them with a healthy eating plan, you should soon see a real difference in your body. If you speed up your metabolism the weight will come off much faster and much easier.