I’m on Day 2 of my new Gratitude Journal and am very pleased to be following this discipline. I can’t say that I’m blissful yet because of it, but I’m working on it. The question of the day: do you take your blessings for granted? I know I do and the whole purpose of this experiment is to change that.
10 Reasons I’m Grateful Today
1. I am so grateful for the trash service in our neighborhood. It’s something we take for granted but it’s so cool that somebody comes by in a truck and hauls away our excess ‘stuff’. Some friends used to own a cabin on Lake Hartwell, here in Georgia, and I’ve spent a lot of time there. At the end of the trip we had to haul all the trash to a dumpster a few miles away, so I can truly appreciate the convenience of having someone take care of that for me.
2. On the same subject, I’m very grateful for trash cans on wheels. In retrospect, luggage, backpacks and trash cans on wheels are a very obvious idea but I can remember when they didn’t exist. Dragging heavily loaded trash cans down the driveway was no fun at all.
3. Plumbing is one of the greatest advances of the civilized world and I’m so grateful for it. We watched a program on Henry VIII the other night and one of the ‘privileged’ positions at court was … handing Henry a cloth to wipe his bum. Eeeeeuuuuuuuuuwwwwwwww!
4. I’m doing my laundry now and really appreciate my washer and dryer. It sure is preferable to beating my clothes on a rock down by the river! And when I was in my 20s, I made many trips to a laundromat so the convenience of doing laundry in my own home is a lovely perk that we all take for granted. Of course, it would be nice if all the clothes would march themselves upstairs and hang themselves on hangers or put themselves in drawers. LOL
5. The temperature last night was in the 60s, rather than the 70s and even 80s that have been common recently. According to the (ridiculously inaccurate) weather forecasts, they’re in the 60s for the next 10 days. It was very comfortable.
6. My house is covered in gorgeous gray carpet that we replaced only a couple of years ago. It not only looks great, it’s kind to the feet and keeps my home warmer in the winter and cooler in the summer. Thank you, carpet!
7. I am so grateful for the sun! Its gorgeous light constantly varies during the day and without it there would be no life on our planet. Or, at least, life as we know it.
8. I am so grateful to Rhonda Byrne, creator of The Secret movie, for this totally clear explanation of how to know if the activity we’re contemplating is a Good Idea – or not.
Be aware of the big difference between inspired action and activity. Activity comes from the brain-mind and is rooted in disbelief and lack of faith – you are taking action to “make” your desire happen. Inspired action is allowing the law to work through you and to move you.
Activity feels hard. Inspired action feels wonderful.
9. Right now, as I’m writing this, I’m also communicating with my son, who is my business partner – and is also at lunch. We’re not using the phone. Instead, he’s typing messages and they’re coming over my computer. How does that happen? I have no idea. It might as well be magic for all I understand about it, but I do know that I’m grateful.
10. We have two cats and one of them follows me everywhere I go in the house. He spends almost every moment of the day either sitting or sleeping by me. I take that devotion for granted but I want to appreciate him more. Bless you, Arwyn.
See you tomorrow.