The eyelashes are known for their protective functions that allow the eyes to maintain their health and integrity. Without the eyelashes, the eyes can easily sustain injury and infection. While the importance of eyelashes for the health of the eyes is well-documented and understood, it is undeniable that eyelashes have aesthetic purposes. Women are very particular with their eyelashes when it comes to wearing make-up. Make-up enhances the face’s features and by wearing mascara, the eyes really stand out. So here's how to grow eyelashes – or make it look like you have.
How To Define Your Long Eyelashes
Many women are not very happy when their eyelashes are too thin or too short. While the appearance and quality of the eyelashes depend a lot on genetics, women are not left helpless. There are various tips and tricks to make eyelashes look longer and fuller.
* Your eyelashes should be healthy – This is the first step that you should take. Maintaining the health of your eyelashes means you need less effort in modifying them. Longer and fuller eyelashes start with a healthy habit of taking care of them. Always maintain the cleanliness of your eyes. Never sleep with make-up on your face. The eyelids should be free from foreign debris and dirt. Furthermore, proper nutrition is needed to have healthy eyelashes. Foods that are rich in protein and vitamins A, B, C, and E promote hair growth. You can also apply olive oil, emu oil and Vaseline on the roots of your eyelashes to encourage thicker and longer eyelashes.
* Use an eyelash curler – Use a curler to clamp your eyelashes as close as possible to the roots. Hold this position for two seconds and release. Move the curler away halfway from the roots and then hold for two more seconds. Repeat this as necessary. During the procedure, be careful not to pull the eyelashes as this may injure the hair follicles.
* Prepare your eyelashes – It is important that you first apply a primer on the eyelashes. Primers coat the eyelashes—especially if they are thin and sparse. An eyelash primer does not just coat the eyelash, but it can also serve as an eyelash conditioner.
* Apply mascara – It is advised that you use mascara that is thick and creamy. Apply mascara by starting from the outer canthus (side) of the eye toward the inner canthus. You should hold the mascara wand at the root of the eyelashes going outward.
* Final touches – The mascara should be applied thicker at the base of the eyelash. Use an eyelash comb to feather the tips of your eyelash to make it look fuller. When the mascara is dry, you can apply another coat until you are pleased with the appearance of your eyelashes.
What to Remember About Long Eyelashes
It is important to note if there is any sign of allergy that may affect your eyes after using mascara. If there is, it is advisable that you change the brand of your mascara or consult a dermatologist about the problem. While it is nice to look good and feel beautiful, we must not sacrifice the health of the eyelashes during the process.